Sunday 28 January 2007

What concepts in the Sawi culture intrigued/ reviled/ saddened/ angered/ surprised you?

There were many concepts in the Sawi culture that shocked me. Although I had a picture of uncivilized tribe in my mind before reading the book, when I read the passage where Kauwan deceives and murders Yae just for a girl whom he wanted to get married, I was totally shocked and couldn’t understand their minds at all. Yae was a relative of Kauwan, but how can he just simply kill Yae for a girl? Another scene that also surprised me was when the kids were messing with Yae, who was almost at the point of death. The kids and the people had no sympathy to Yae. It seemed like that they have no consciousness or pity at all. Moreover a concept that intrigued me the most was the respect that a husband showed to his mother-in-law. I think that most husbands in this modern society usually revere and care more about their own mothers rather than their mothers-in-law. But it was interesting because the husbands of Sawi were committing themselves to do anything that their mothers-in-law told. I was astonished to see the “uncivilized culture” like Sawi were way more loyal than some of us in our culture today. But what saddened me the most was the world view of the Sawi before when Don Richardson came to tell about God. The superstitious Sawi did not have the true understanding of Jesus Christ that He is the key to the eternal life and the purpose of their lives. I connected this scene to the today’s world that even some of “civilized” people are acting like the superstitious and “primitive” Sawi because they are skeptical about the whole Christianity.